Football stars have broken major records at the FIFA World Cup in Qatar over the past month.
Lionel Messi leads the individual record-breaking list after an illustrious World Cup career with his first title with Argentina’s win over France in the final.
The 35-year-old owns several records, including appearances, goals, and assists, marking an all-around legacy.
- Lionel Messi: Oldest player to register a goal and an assist in a World Cup game [vs. Saudi Arabia] at 35
- Lionel Messi: Oldest player to register a goal and an assist in a World Cup knockout game [quarterfinal vs. Netherlands, semifinal vs. Croatia] at 35
- Lionel Messi: Most goal contributions in a World Cup- 21 total (13 goals and 8 assists)
- Lionel Messi: Only player to win two Golden Balls [Best player of the tournament]
- Lionel Messi: Oldest player to score seven goals at a World Cup at 35.
- Lionel Messi: Most appearances in World Cups – 26
- Lionel Messi: Second most assists at World Cups- 9
- Lionel Messi: Most goals at World Cup for an Argentina player – 13
- Lionel Messi: Played the most number of minutes in the World Cup with 234 minutes
- Lionel Messi: The first player to score in Group Stage, the Round of 16, Quarter-finals, Semi-finals, and Final in a single edition of a World Cup.
- Lionel Messi: Oldest and youngest player to score and assist in same World Cup game -35y 155d and 18y 357d-
- Lionel Messi: Most Player of the Match awards in World Cup history – 8
- Cristiano Ronaldo: The first footballer to score at five World Cups
- Kylian Mbappe: Most goals by a player aged 23 or younger in a single World Cup all-time – 8
- Kylian Mbappe: Most World Cup knockout stage goals aged 23 or younger in a World Cup- 7
- Kylian Mbappe: Has scored more World Cup final goals than any other player – 4
- Kylian Mbappe: Became only the second player to score a hat-trick in the men’s World Cup final
- Manuel Neuer: Most appearances for a goalkeeper in World Cup history – 19
- Olivier Giroud: Most goals for France -52
- Leandro Paredes: Most passes completed by a substitute in a World Cup match -77
- Jamal Musiala: Most dribbles in a World Cup match by a teenager -12, vs. Costa Rica