Doha News Ramadan opening hours guide 2014
With reporting from Elysia Windrum, Chantelle D’mello and Lesley Walker
Shops, government offices, restaurants and businesses in Qatar generally change their opening hours significantly during Ramadan. Here’s our Doha News guide to what’s open, and when, during this year’s fasting month.
We plan to update it throughout the next several weeks – so if you have information you think we should add, please share it with us in the comments section. For a quick primer on understanding Ramadan in Qatar, see here.
- Lulu Hypermarket – D-Ring, Al Gharafa, Al Khor: Saturday to Thursday, 9am-1am; Fridays, 8am-10:30am, 12:30pm-1am; Lulu Center Al Rayyan Rd: Saturday to Thursday, 10am-2pm, 7:30pm-12:30am; Fridays, 4pm-12:30am; Lulu Express Al Rayyan: Saturday to Thursday, 8am-midnight; Fridays, 8am-10:30am, 12:30pm-midnight.
- Family Food Center (all branches) – Saturday to Thursday, 8:30am-5:45pm, 7:30pm-1am; Fridays, 8:30am-10:30am, 12:30pm-5:45pm, 7:30pm-midnight.
- Carrefour – Villaggio mall: Sunday to Wednesday, 9am-1 am; Thursday and Friday, 9am-2am; Ezdan mall: 9am-1am (prayer break from 11am to 12:30pm on Friday); City Center mall: 9am-2 am; Landmark mall: Hours not announced yet.
- Geant at Hyatt Plaza and Al Meera branches: Open every day from 8am-1am; closed Friday from 11.30am-noon for prayer.
- Monoprix (West Bay): Open 8am-10pm seven days a week.
- Spinneys – The Mall Open 8am to midnight seven days a week. The Pearl: Open 8am-11pm seven days a week; Fridays, closed from 11:30am until 1pm.
- Mega Mart (The Center): 8am-midnight.
Although many shopping centers will remain accessible for walks, etc throughout the day, most of the stores situated inside the malls will only be open at specific times. These are:
- Villaggio mall – Shops and Kiosks (first two weeks) Sunday to Thursday 10am-1:30pm and 7:30pm-midnight; Fridays: 7:30pm to midnight. Last two weeks Sunday to Thursday 10am-1:30pm and 7:30pm-1am; Fridays 7:30pm-1am. Food court, restaurants and coffee shops – first two weeks: from iftar to midnight, last two weeks: iftar to 1am.
- Royal Plaza: Open Saturday to Thursday, 10am-1:30pm, 8pm-midnight; Fridays, 8pm-midnight.
- Landmark mall: Open Saturday to Thursday, 10am-3pm and 7:30pm-1am; Fridays, 7:30pm-1am.
- Lagoona mall: Open Saturday to Thursday, 10am-4 pm, 8pm-1am; Fridays, 8pm-1am.
- City Center mall: Open Saturday to Thursday, 9am-1 pm, 8pm-1 am; Fridays, 9am-11:15 am and 12pm-2am.
- Ezdan mall: Open Saturday to Thursday, 9am-1pm and 8pm-midnight; Fridays, 8pm-midnight (all food outlets: iftar to sahoor).
- Dar Al Salam mall: Open Saturday to Thursday, 10am-4pm, 8pm-1am; Fridays, 8pm-1am.
- The Mall: Open Saturday to Thursday, 10am-1pm and 8pm-midnight; Fridays, 8pm-midnight.
- The Gate: Open Saturday to Thursday, 10am-4pm, 8pm-1 am; Fridays, 8pm-1am
- Hyatt Plaza: First two weeks, open Saturday to Thursday, 10am-3pm, 8pm-midnight; Fridays, 8pm-midnight. Last two weeks, open Saturday to Thursday, 10am- 3pm and 8pm-1 am; Fridays, 8pm-1am.
- Centrepoint mall: Open Saturday to Thursday, 10 am – 2 pm, 7.30 pm – 11pm. Fridays, 7:30pm-midnight.
Other shopping options
- Ikea – Store: Saturday to Wednesday, noon to midnight; Thursday and Friday, 1pm to 1am. Restaurant: Saturday to Wednesday, iftar to 11:30pm; Fridays, iftar to 12:30am.
- Souq Waqif – Tajine Restaurant, 5:30pm to 1:30am; Le Gourmet, 6:30pm to 1am; Al Bandar, 6pm to midnight; Damasca One, 6pm to 2:30am (including Suhoor). Shops selling spices and other goods will generally be open from 10am to 1pm, and then again from 7pm to midnight.
Hotel restaurants open during the day
- W Doha: Market is open for breakfast from 6am -11am, for lunch from noon-4pm and for dinner from 5pm-midnight. La Spiga is also open from 12pm-4pm.
- Grand Hyatt: Rocca is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 7am-11:30pm
- Intercontinental Beach: Coral is open for breakfast from 6am-11am and lunch from 12:30-3:30pm. Mykonos is also open from noon-11:30pm.
- Marriott Renaissance: Crossroads Kitchen is open for breakfast from 6am-10:30am and Cucina is open for lunch from noon-3pm. Quick Bites is also open from 6am-11pm.
- Hilton: Mawasem is open from 6am-10:30am and for lunch from 12:30pm-3:30pm.
- Four Seasons: Il Teatro is open from 6:30am-11:30pm.
- Radisson Blu: Bistro Bistro is open 24 hours. Hyde Park Coffee shop is also open from 6am– 11pm.
- St Regis: Opal by Gordon Ramsay is open from 6:30am–11am and from noon–4pm.
- Doha Marriott: The hotel’s Corniche restaurant is open daily for breakfast from 6am-10:30am and for lunch from 12pm-3pm.
- Kempinski: Gourmet House is open 7am-11pm, and Aroma from 6:30am-11pm.
Non-hotel restaurants open during the day
- PAUL: Open from 9am every day for takeaway.
- La Varenne (Tornado Tower): Open Saturday to Thursday, 7am-3pm.
- J & G Sandwich Cellar: Open Sunday to Wednesday from 8am-10pm; Fridays and Saturdays from noon-10pm.
- Carluccios: Open from noon onwards for home delivery (Pearl residents only).
- Bread and Bagels: Open for delivery from 9am onwards daily. Open for dining-in only after iftar.
Hamad International Airport
All restaurants and cafes past security will be open during the day, but eateries “landside,” i.e by check-in and after baggage reclaim, will remain closed until iftar.
HIA officials told Doha News that alcohol will not be served in the terminal during Ramadan.
- Royal Plaza: Open from 9pm – last show begins 11:30pm.
- Landmark: Open from 8:30pm – last show begins 11:30pm.
- The Mall: Open from first show at 9pm until last show at 11:30pm every day.
- Villaggio: Open from Saturday to Thursday, 10am-4pm and 7pm-1am; Fridays 7pm -1am.
- City Center: Open from Sunday to Thursday, 10am – 5:45pm and 7pm – 2:30am; Friday and Saturday, 7pm – 4:30am.
- Al Ahli Hospital: Outpatient clinics are open from 8am-3pm and 7:30pm-1am, except for women’s clinic, which is open from 9am-midday, and 8pm-11pm. Physical and medical rehab is open from 8am-3pm, and 5pm-midnight.
- Doha Clinic Hospital: Outpatient clinics are open from 9am-2pm and 9pm-1am; emergency open 24 hours.
- Hamad Primary Healthcare Centers: Most branches will be open from 9am-2pm and 4pm-1am, including Friday and Saturday, except for Airport, Al Gharrafa, Mesaimeer and Abu Nakhla branches, which will be open from 9am-2pm and 8pm-1am. Dental care is available from 9am-2pm and 8pm-1am, including Friday evening shift and Saturday both morning and evening shifts, except in the four centers listed above, where weekend dental care will not be available.
- Hamad Hospitals: Hamad General Hospital’s Outpatient morning clinics will run from 8am-1pm, Sunday to Thursday, with evening clinics from 8:30pm-11pm. Meanwhile, Women’s Hospital outpatient clinics will operate from 8am-1pm, Sunday to Thursday, and from 7:30pm-10pm Sunday to Wednesday. Outpatient clinics at the Heart Hospital, Al Wakra Hospital, The Cuban Hospital and Al Khor Hospital will open to patients from 8am to 1pm, Sunday to Thursday. Patients requiring any additional information can call 44395777.
- Ministry of Interior: Borders, Passports, Expat Affairs & Dept of Citizenship and Travel Documents are open from 8am-1pm and 9pm-1am.
- Traffic Department: Open from 9am-2pm and 9pm-1am.
- Evidence and Criminal Information: Open from 8am-1pm only.
- Fingerprint Dept at Industrial area: Open from 8am-1pm, 1pm-6pm and 8pm-1am.
- Fingerprinting at unified services center: Open from 8am-1pm, 9pm-1am.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs consular services: Has moved from C-Ring Road to West Bay; open from 9:15am to noon.
- Kahramaa: Open from 9am-2pm Sunday to Thursday (call center can be reached 24/7 at 991).
- Doha Bank: Main branch, Industrial Area, Wakra branch, Al Mirqab branch Sunday to Thursday, 9am-2pm, 8:30pm-10:30pm.
- HSBC: Main branch Sunday to Thursday 9am-2pm and 8pm to 10pm, Saturdays 9am-noon. All other branches 9am to 2pm, Sunday to Thursday.
- IBQ: All branches open Sunday to Thursday 9am-2pm. Main branch and Al Wakra branch also open Sunday to Wednesday 8:30pm-11pm, and Lagoona Mall branch also open every day 8:30pm-11:30pm.
- Museum of Islamic Art: Open from 8pm-midnight Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, closed Tuesday and Friday. Closes July 13, and re-opens second day of Eid. Indoor and outdoor cafes open 6pm-midnight on days open.
- Mathaf: Open Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, 11am-3pm, Wednesday and Saturday 11am-3pm and 8pm-midnight, closed Monday and Friday. Cafe open Wednesday and Saturday 8pm – midnight.
General Post Office (West Bay), Mumtaz (EMS) Post, Teyseer, Al Rayyan(1&2), Al Mirghab, Al Aziziya, Al Kharthiyat, Al Meera (Al Mansoorah), Al Wakrah, Souq Al Ali, Al Munthazah, Abdul Aziz Al Ahmed St and Al Khor Post offices all open Sunday – Thursday 9am-2pm and 9pm-midnight, Saturday 9am-12pm and 9pm to midnight. Closed on Friday.
Branches at Woqod Station(Umm Salal), Khalifa town(North), Al Shahaniya, Al Shamal, Mesaieed and Dukhan open Sunday to Thursday 9am-2pm and Saturday 9am-midday. Closed on Friday.
The Industrial Area Post Office will open Sunday-Thursday 9am-2pm and 9pm-midnight, Saturday 9am-midday and 9pm-midnight, and Friday 9pm-midnight.
Lulu Hypermarket branch will open Sunday to Thursday 9am-2pm and 9pm-midnight, Saturday 9am-midday and 9pm-midnight, Friday 9.30pm-11.30pm.
Finally, Ummbab, Qatar University (Women’s) and Qatar Foundation Post Offices will open Sunday to Thursday 9am-2pm, closed Friday and Saturday.
- Trucks will not be allowed into Doha during peak hours from 8am-10am, 1pm-3pm and 5.30pm-midnight.
- Ray’s Reef, the children’s play area at Royal Plaza Mall, will open in the morning from 10am-1pm then again at night from 8pm-midnight.
- Fun Ville at Ezdan Mall is open from 9am-1pm and 8pm-midnight Saturday to Thursday; Fridays, 8pm-midnight.
That’s what we have so far. Do you have any information you think we should add?