Hamad Medical Corp. appeals for type O+ blood donations
Officials at the Hamad Medical Corporation Blood Bank have issued an urgent appeal for Qatar residents with type O+ blood to donate.
Saying in a statement that “one person can save the lives of as many as three people,” the government-organized healthcare provider asked donors to visit the blood bank near Hamad Hospital from 7am-9:30pm on weekdays or 9am-9pm on Saturday.
An HMC spokesperson told Doha News that demand for blood is high at the moment, with several major surgeries scheduled this week, although donations are always needed and encouraged.
Requirements to donate blood are as follows:
- You need to be in good health and feel well on the day of the donation.
- You cannot have any chronic diseases of the heart, lungs or circulatory system.
- You need to be at least 18 years old, and weigh at least 50 kilograms.
- You need to have a hemoglobin level at least 12.5 grams/deciliter.
- You need to have blood pressure systolic between 100 and 160, diastolic 60 to 100 torr.
- You need to have a regular pulse between 60 and 100, and oral temperature less than or equal to 37.5C.
- You must inform the medical staff if you are taking any medication.
Numbers to contact the HMC Blood Bank are +974 4439-1081 or +974 4439-1082.
HMC has also passed along this fact sheet to address some basic questions about blood donation:
Credit: Photo courtesy of Canadian Blood Services