For residents craving a change this weekend, consider checking out some of these events – there is a lot to do, including dining in the dark, a FIFA Playstation tournament and a colorful commemoration of Holi.
Eat a three-course meal in the dark
In a bid to raise awareness about blindness, the Oryx Rotana will hold a “From Darkness to Light” dinner on March 27 at 9pm at the Jade Ballroom. The three-course meal costs QR245 per person (food only), with proceeds benefitting ORBIS, a “saving sight worldwide” foundation that provides blindness-specific aids and supplies.
The three-course dinner, which be served in pitch darkness, is meant to help diners understand what blind individuals experience. A limited number of reservations are still available.
Learn everything there is to know about chess
The Doha Film Institute will screen two Chess-themed movies this weekend and next at the Museum of Islamic Art as part of the MIA’s ongoing “Kings and Pawns: Board games from India to Spain” exhibition.
Tickets are required for both films:
- “Bobby Fischer against the World,” which will be aired at 7pm on both days. Directed by Liz Garbus, the feature documentary tracks the tragic and bizarre life of the late chess grandmaster. The film will be presented in English with no Arabic subtitles.
- Bollywood classic “The Chess players,” or Shatranj ke Khiladi, will be aired on April 3 and 4 at 7pm at MIA.
Ring in Holi belatedly
Red Apple Events is hosting an event to commemorate the colorful Indian festival Holi at the Doha Marriott Hotel on March 28 from 3pm onwards.
Rang Barse 2014 is a family-friendly event that will have game stalls, rain towers, mela decor and a lineup of desi entertainment artists like DJ Akhtar, DJ Ansh, DJ Sarfaraz and many more.
The standard prices for the tickets are QR100/person. Tickets can be purchased at the door, in shops and online here.
Aspire Zone will holds its third annual Torch Staircase Run on Saturday, March 29 at noon. Registration is now closed for the event, but more than 300 people have signed up to compete to climb the Torch Doha Hotel’s 51 floors in record time. Members of the public are invited to watch athletes and amateurs compete on Saturday.
Red Bull will host a gaming challenge from dusk till dawn at Lagoona Mall on March 28. From 5pm onwards, gamers aged 15 years and older can compete in three phases of the duel.
The top 16 (who score the highest number of goals) will qualify for the finals on Saturday, March 29 at Villaggio mall. To register, please call 66004820.
QatART handmade market
The Katara QatART handmade market will be held on March 28 at the courtyard of the Katara art studios, Building 19, from 3pm to 10pm.
A wide variety of handcrafts will be sold, including jewelry, paintings, illustrations, home decors and homemade food and party supplies.
The market aims to encourage production of such works and facilitate the creation of business using traditional Qatari traditions. Hands-on crafting sessions will also take place. Entry is free for the public.
- Qatar Drift Championship: Round 3 of the National Drift Championship will be held on March 27 and 28 at the Qatar Racing Club from 4pm to 9pm. The competition is free and open to all, and gates open at 5pm for spectators. Some 20 professional competitors will be competing for the title.
- Trade fair: Enterprise Qatar in partnership INJAZ Qatar will host a Young Entrepreneurs Trade Fair on the first floor of City Center Mall on March 27 from 11am onwards. As part of the INJAZ Qatar Young Enterprise of the Year 2014 competition, student-formed companies will compete to sell their goods and services to the public.
- H.H Emir Cup 2014: The Qatar Endurance Committee is holding a 120km equestrian track racing event at Sealine Endurance Village on March 28. Admission is free and open to the public.
- Spring serenade concert: The concert will feature folk songs including “Shenandoah” and “What shall we do with a drunken sailor” that will be performed by 100 choir singers from the Doha Singers and Doha Children’s Choir on March 29. The event will be held from 4pm to 5.30pm in the Al Waab area. Tickets are priced at QR 30 for kids under 16 and QR 50 for adults and are available at 51 east stores or Central Office at American School Doha.
What are your plans for the weekend? Thoughts?