QSA: Cost of food, travel, rent, fun and transportation rise in Qatar
The cost of almost everything in Qatar, including food, housing and entertainment, has risen by an average of 3.6 percent from March 2012 to March 2013, new Qatar Statistics Authority Consumer Price Index figures show.
Year-on-year, these five major categories saw the biggest jumps:
- Entertainment, Recreation and Culture (up 8.7 percent);
- Rent, Fuel and Energy (up 5.5 percent);
- Furniture, Textiles & Home Appliances (up 4.8 percent);
- Food, Beverages & Tobacco (up 2.5 percent); and
- Transport and Communications (up 1.9 percent)
QSA cites the rising cost of tourism packages, travel fares and fresh fruits as among the reasons for the overall jumps.
Despite the increasing prices, the consumer confidence of residents in Qatar is among the highest in the GCC, according to a recent survey by MasterCard. The index rated regular income prospects, employment prospects, quality of life, and the strength of the stock market and economy into account.
Are you feeling the pinch?
Credit: Photo by Tom Kirch