Qatar has denounced as a “criminal act” an attack in France that left at least 80 people dead after a truck plowed into a crowd during national day celebrations.
The driver of the vehicle first shot into the crowd and then drove some 2km along the Promenade des Anglais, the main street in Nice, where people had gathered to watch fireworks.
Police shot and killed the driver, who has not yet been publicly identified.
— The New York Times (@nytimes) July 15, 2016
No group has yet claimed responsibility for what happened.
However, French President Francois Hollande said in a national address this morning that “there’s no denying the terrorist nature of this attack,” adding that all of France is “under the threat of Islamist terrorism.”
In a statement, Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) condemned the attack for targeting innocent civilians including women and children, calling it “contrary to all human, ethical values and religions.”
Heinous crimes against innocent civilians cannot be justified by any religion or under any cause.Our condolences to victims of #Nice attack.
— محمد بن عبدالرحمن (@MBA_AlThani_) July 15, 2016
It also reiterated Qatar’s “rejection of violence and terrorism whatever their motives and causes,” and expressed condolences to the families of the victims.
Many in Qatar reacted with horror at the attack, extending their condolences and offering support to the French people:
Liberté, egalité, fraternité will prevail.
— YvettevEechoud (@YvettevEechoud) July 15, 2016
And once again, waking up to bad news. Never has the hashtag #Nice been so far from the truth.
— Kamahl Santamaria (@KamahlOnTV) July 15, 2016
Let's pray for Paris <3,our thoughts & prayers with Nice,France <3 pic.twitter.com/k7ouVG0KST
— Mega Cervantes (@Mega_Amihan) July 15, 2016
Some said it was particularly insidious that the attack was on Bastille Day, which is when France celebrates its post-French Revolution republic.
The aim was for sure to kill the maximum of people. On this night of #14Juillet celebrations. The dead toll will be much more than 60 !
— Mazen Abd Rabbo (@MAbdRabbo) July 14, 2016
And in response to comments that Islam was the problem, others pointed out that innocent Muslim civilians were recently targeted in other terrorist attacks:
— ود البيه (@khalidalbaih) July 14, 2016