All images courtesy of Ashghal
A QR86 (US$23.6) million facility hailed as one of the largest scout camps in the world has just opened outside of Doha.
Camping and outdoor exploring are intrinsic parts of the scouting experience and through its new camp site, Qatar’s scouting organization aims to expand the range of activities it offers.
The camp site, in Al Mazrouaa, which is around 30km north of Qatar’s capital near Al Shamal Road, is around 400,000sqm in size and includes a hostel, entertainment block, space for 251 tents, two football pitches and an amphitheater, as well as administration and seminar facilities.
Managed by public works authority Ashghal for the Qatar Scouts & Guides Association (QSGA), the new development took two years to build and aims to attract international and regional scouting events to the multi-purpose site.
Communities in Qatar have been active in scouting since the mid-1960s, when the QSGA – the national scouting and guiding organization of Qatar – was founded.
There are also a number of international scouting and guiding groups with units in Qatar, including Boy and Girl Scouts of America and British Scouting Overseas.
The latter group is part of the World Scouting movement, a confederation of 162 national Scout organizations with 40 million members throughout the world.
First started by Robert Baden-Powell in the UK in 1908, the quickly movement gained popularity and spread internationally, promoting its combination of education, adventure and fun for young people.
Facilities at the Al Mazrouaa complex include:
- A seminar building with IT-connected rooms and a multi-purpose hall;
- A 1,760 m2 hostel building with bedrooms;
- An entertainment building with a cafeteria and recreational facilities;
- A separate dining building with kitchens and a dining hall;
- An amphitheater with a covered VIP seating area;
- A camping areas for 251 tents;
- Two football fields;
- Some 71 shaded car parking spaces and 20 bus parking bays; and
- Five service block buildings, each serving 50 tents, with washing and toilet facilities and kitchens.
Ashghal has also announced the completion of a QR31 million new headquarters for the Scout & Guide Association in Ain Khaled.
The three-story building includes admin offices, multi-functional areas and a hostel for visitors, as well as playgrounds in the surrounding area.