Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar’s new Emir, has named a new Cabinet, including one female minister, Dr. Hessa Al Jaber, as Minister of Communication and Information Technology, making her the third in the country’s history.
The new cabinet members were sworn in this evening at the Emiri Diwan, with Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani being named both Prime Minister and Interior Minister, making him one of the most powerful people in the country.
Dr. Khalid bin Mohamed Al-Attiyah, formerly the minister of state for foreign affairs, was confirmed as the new Minister of Foreign Affairs, and QNA reports Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim Al Thani’s resignation as PM/FM was formally accepted by Sheikh Tamim.
Sheikh Tamim also issued a decree giving his father an official title, QNA reports:
HH the Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani issued today an Emiri order, stipulating that the official title of HH Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani is (HH the Father Emir).
Naming a woman to a ministerial position is not unprecedented, but remains an uncommon occurance. Dr. Hessa Al Jaber, now Qatar’s third female minister ever, has headed state telecom and technology regulator ictQatar since 2004 and has previously been named one of the Arab world’s most powerful women.
The first woman to serve in Qatar’s cabinet was Sheikha Ahmed al-Mahmoud, who was named Education Minister in 2003, while Dr. Ghalia bint Mohammed Al Thani previously served as Minister of Public Health.
Another addition to the government is Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim Al Thani, who resigned as head of the Al Jazeera Media Network to take up the post of Minister of Economy and Trade.
Among others, Dr. Mohammed bin Saleh Al-Sada and Dr. Hamad bin Abdul Aziz Al Kuwari retain their positions as Minister of Energy and Industry and Minister of Culture, Arts and Heritage. Maj. Gen. Hamad bin Ali Al-Attiyah was promoted from Chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces to Minister of State for Defence Affairs/Cabinet member.
Here is the full list of names on Qatar’s new cabinet, as published by QNA:
- HE Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani, Prime Minister and Interior Minister
- HE Mr. Ahmed bin Abdullah bin Zaid Al-Mahmoud, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs
- HE Dr. Khalid bin Mohamed Al-Attiyah, Foreign Minister
- HE Maj. Gen. Hamad bin Ali Al-Attiyah, Minister of State for Defence Affairs, and Cabinet member
- HE Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani, Minister of Municipality and Urban Planning
- HE Dr. Mohammed bin Saleh Al-Sada, Minister of Energy and Industry
- HE Mr Ali Sherif Al-Emadi, Minister of Finance
- HE Dr. Hamad bin Abdul Aziz Al Kuwari, Minister of Culture, Arts and Heritage
- HE Mr. Abdullah bin Khalid Al Qahtani, Minister of Public Health
- HE Dr. Ghaith bin Mubarak Al-Kuwari, Minister of Endowments (Awqaf) and Islamic Affairs
- HE Mr. Salah bin Ghanem bin Nasser Al Ali, Minister of Youth and Sports
- HE Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim bin Mohamed Al Thani, Minister of Economy and Trade
- HE Dr. Hassan Lahdan Saqr AL-Mohannadi, Minister of Justice
- HE Dr. Issa Saad Al-Jafali Al-Nuaimi, Minister of Administrative Development
- HE Dr. Hessa Sultan Al Jaber, Minister of Communication and Information Technology
- HE Dr. Saleh Mohamed Salem Al Nabit , Minister of Development Planning and Statistics
- HE Mr. Mohammed Abdul Wahed Ali Al Hammadi, Minister of Education and Higher Education
- HE Mr. Abdullah Saleh Mubarak Al-Khulaifi, Minister of Labour and Social Affairs
- HE Mr. Ahmed Amer Mohamed Al Humaidi, Minister of Environment
- HE Mr. Jassim Seif Ahmed Al Sulaiti, Minister of Transport
The appointments take effect immediately.
Credit: Photo courtesy of ictQatar.
Editor’s note: The headline and story have been corrected to show Dr. Hessa Al Jaber is not the first Cabinet member in Qatar, but rather, the third. Additionally, Maj. Gen. Hamad bin Ali Al-Attiyah’s former position was previously incorrectly stated.