Restaurants: Still no alcohol at the Pearl

A ban on alcohol at the Pearl-Qatar remains in effect, despite rumors that it would be lifted upon the completion of the Arab Games on Friday.

According to staff at Carluccio’s and Bice, two high-end Pearl restaurants formerly known for their extensive wine menus, eateries have yet to receive the green light from Pearl management.

No one at the Pearl or at United Development Company, which is developing the Pearl project, was available for comment. The Qatar Tourism Authority, which is also thought to be involved in the decision, also did not immediately respond for comment.

Restaurants on the Pearl inexplicably went dry earlier this month, much to the dismay of many Qatar residents. It remains unclear whether the ban is a permanent or temporary measure.

According to the Sharq, a circular was distributed to restaurants on the Pearl outlining the legalities of serving alcohol in Qatar, a conservative Muslim country that restricts its consumption. 

Reactions to the sudden ban have ranged from anger to satisfaction to indifference, with many residents wondering how restaurants would stay in business without being able to sell alcohol.

On the ExpatWoman forum, commenter Dan Lou said:

For what it’s worth I don’t drink and drive but won’t go All The Way to the Pearl for a special night and not enjoy a glass of wine on our wedding anniversary!

I put it to you that this ban will be lifted. These restaurants will have legally binding contracts which allow for the service of alcohol and after “talks” the authorities will buckle. It might take weeks or months but I can’t see it lasting…

On Qatar Living, commenter Genesis said:

While i don’t mind the sell of alcohol to a certain extent, i salute the government for taking this step to please the public & embrace the local cultureModerate Islamist are winning throughout the Arab world, we welcome them (if that’s what the people want). 

Have any thoughts or updates? Please share!

Load Comments