Following widespread reports of sexual and psychological abuse, Nepal has set an age bar for women seeking to work in Gulf countries.
Women under 30 will no longer be allowed to work in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the UAE.
In 2010, Nepal lifted its 12-year ban on women working in the Gulf, provided several pre-conditions were met, including the provision of life insurance, paid leave, and a minimum salary of 1,000 QAR. Age has now been added to that list.
It is not clear how many Nepali women work as domestic helpers in Qatar, as many apparently cross into India before coming here in order to circumvent Nepal’s strict regulations.
But Rishi Ram Ghimire, the deputy head of mission at Nepal’s embassy here, told Doha News that they see two to three cases a month of “runaway maids” who complain of being forced to work 20 to 22 hour work days.
“Women who are more than 30 are more responsible, more mature and can work more efficiently,” he said. “Ladies below 30, they are not so mature… and sometimes there’s an instance of misbehavior.”
Credit: Photo by rpb1001
- mariopgrant likes this
- vwcg likes this
- mehmet-akbulutt likes this
- fisher-price likes this
- pod313 reblogged this from recycledfrockery
- recycledfrockery reblogged this from ausetkmt
- ma-riam likes this
- ausetkmt reblogged this from dohanews
- tylerrrdurden reblogged this from dohanews
- anontwo likes this
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- scotlandfog reblogged this from freeusapress
- thescienceofreality likes this
- freeusapress reblogged this from dohanews
- mapleflowers reblogged this from dohanews and added:
- reviewstorage likes this
- zdlra reblogged this from dohanews
- linguerebi reblogged this from globalvoices
- awalkingadvertfordisney likes this
- medeaeva likes this
- nyreek10 reblogged this from dohanews
- hiphopbeatnik likes this
- ziatroyano reblogged this from globalvoices
- globalvoices reblogged this from dohanews
- jojochao likes this
- zackovic likes this
- This was featured in #News
- dohanews posted this